Re: plaster of paris

---------

From: kavita ghai (kavitaghai2002_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Nov 28 2002 - 09:22:21 PST

tracy,
i have a method i have used in class...i made a small slab of wet clay ,tok an impression of hand or just dug out a negative of the form we wanted,around the slab build clay walls so that when plaster is poured on it ,it doesn't spill out.after the plaster dries just remove the clay.we mix little amts of plaster in small bowls ,it a real messy work but children love the mess,and they realy enjoy putting their hands in plaster and mixing it.
i did a lot of works with my beginners ,they really enjoyed it ,it was always magic to them ,though initially i had problems explaining to them to make the negative but when i did for them once or twice they understood the magical trick.and its no magic to them anymore.
this was better than clay first it was plaster so it could be painted and their is no risk of breaking while baking as in clay .and we could display their work as soon as they painted it.
kavita
 tracy.conley@attbi.com wrote:Does anyone have a recommendation on how to use plaster of paris with a
kindergarten
class? I would like to make molds of their hands but I had a bad experience
when I used it
with the 7th graders. I made a huge batch and it hardened before I got it
out of the bucket.
It was a mess. My niece has one she did in pre-school and my sister loved
it. NO clue on how
to organize something like this???
Tracy Conley