Re: Photography

---------

From: Frank Grochowski (jgrochowski_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Nov 28 2002 - 08:10:53 PST

Hi all,
    I agree with Woody that what's good is that the kids are being 'exposed'
(no pun intended-nyuk, nyuk) to Photo. As we all know, Photo frequently is
located in a variety of other departments, owing to the history of who had
the interest and knowledge to set up that building's first darkroom.
However, I have an issue with the course being taught in a Tech area and
receiving a Fine Arts credit. That is problematic to me. Questions to be
asked relative to this are: is there a Fine Arts grad requirement? Is there
a Tech Ed grad requirement?
    In a completely different vein, earlier this year, our Fine Arts
Department-we do have a Fine Arts grad requirement-faced a proposal to
include Speech as a course which would fulfill it. It would have been a
short step to then require Speech for graduation and reduce the Fine Arts
staff at the same time. I have no agruement with requiring Speech as long as
it remains in the Lang Arts Department. Fortunately, that concept has died,
but my ears perk up whenever I hear of a class being taught by non-Art staff
being included in the Art offerings.
Just my 2 cents....and Happy Thanksgiving, everyone-now turn off your
computer and go celebrate the day!
Jude (who is now taking her own advice-goodbye!)