Fw: Youth art

---------

From: carolyn roberts (croberts18_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 27 2002 - 12:34:38 PST

Here's the message I received...
Carolyn

> One of our art research volunteers came across your contact email in
connection with young people's art, and passed it along to me.

> I am the director of PapaInk, the non-profit archive dedicated to the art
of children and youth. Our 2003 global youth art project, "On the Map:
Building a Sense of Home," is underway, and we would love to have you and
your students take part.

> The project is a joint effort of PapaInk and Habitat for Humanity
International, the non-profit home-building organization embraced by Nobel
Laureate Jimmy Carter. Working through our network of volunteers, PapaInk
has reached out to some 10,000 teachers worldwide. Habitat for Humanity is
likewise working through its more than 1,900 affiliates to reach young
people at a local level across the globe, particularly in the developing
world.

> The result will be a historic collection of young people's art that
captures the essence of home and the creative spirit of contemporary
children and youth.

> The collection will further stand as a tribute to the contributions of
teachers and schools to young people's creativity and sense of being at home
in the world. Your students' artwork will be presented as a dedicated
collection within PapaInk's digital archive, accompanied by a homepage that
describes your school's mission and art-related activities and provides
school links and contact information (thus in effect putting your school "on
the map").

> Below are several links to give you a fuller sense of the project and
PapaInk's non-profit mission:

> On the Map: Building a Sense of Home project:
> http://www.papaink.org/papaink/home/on_the_map.html
>
> On the Map: Building a Sense of Home curriculum ideas:
> http://www.papaink.org/papaink/home/on_the_map_themes.html
>
> Sample collection homepage:
> http://www.papaink.org/gallery/home/artist/display/312.html
>
> PapaInk's mission statement:
> http://www.papaink.org/papaink/home/statement.html
>
> Student portfolio program:
> http://www.papaink.org/icurator/portfolio_index.php
>
> Please note that PapaInk's wonderful volunteer curator team will digitize
all artwork and create your school's collection homepage at no cost.

> We will be honored to include your students' work and to highlight your
own activities in a collection that promises to transform and enrich how all
of us understand "home."

> Kind regards,
> Audrey
>
> Audrey Manring
> Director
> PapaInk
> http://www.papaink.org
>
> PapaInk is a 501c3 non-profit art archive dedicated to the art of children
and youth. Our activities encompass the exhibition of young artists' works,
the archiving of historical and contemporary children's art collections held
by educators, artists and organizations and the building of communities that
support young people's creative endeavors. PapaInk provides a non-profit
archival setting that accentuates the meaning and value of young people's
art, and highlights the socially critical efforts of individuals and
organizations that positively impact children's lives. Through issuing
international calls for art and involving volunteers worldwide in youth art
collection, exhibition and preservation, PapaInk seeks to raise social
support for children's art and to reinject the creative spirit of young
people into the human experience.

---