Nat'l Bd Cert

---------

From: carolyn roberts (croberts18_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 27 2002 - 04:53:01 PST

I teach in NC and I'm proud of my state DPI. We only rank midway in
salaries, but I read in the paper this morning that NC remains at the top
among the states in the number of teachers earning NBC. Last year, we had
1,476 teachers who earned NBC, Florida was 2nd with 1,243, then SC with
1,070 and California with 651. Also, NC has the highest total number of NBC
teachers in the country with a total of 5,111.

As I am in the process of preparing to work on mine this year, that makes me
feel good...however, when I read or hear about the number of teachers who do
NOT pass the first time they attempt it...it scares me. I've heard/read
that approximately 50% do not pass the first time.

This process is definitely a LOT of work to not pass. It makes one wonder
why so many fail. Is it in the lesson ideas themselves, or is it mainly the
writing? Does it have anything to do with the people who scores each entry?

Does anyone have any insight on this...or hints or tips for a teacher who is
already getting worried...before she even begins. My fees are paid and I
will go through the process. I'm sure that I will learn a lot...just going
through the process.

Hope that all of you have a wonderful and safe Thanksgiving...and get to
spend a lot of time with your families. We need to thank them for
supporting us all year. It must be tough being married to a teacher...and
especially and art teacher. :)

Happy Thanksgiving to all....
Carolyn Roberts..."proud to teach in North Carolina"

---