FW: artsednet digest: November 25, 2002

---------

From: Kevan Nitzberg (knitzber_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Nov 26 2002 - 17:29:44 PST

----------
From: Kevan Nitzberg <knitzber@ties.k12.mn.us>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 06:23:29 -0600
To: ArtsEdNet Talk <artsednet@lists.pub.getty.edu>
Subject: Re: artsednet digest: November 25, 2002

on 11/26/02 2:00 AM, ArtsEdNet Talk digest at artsednet@lists.pub.getty.edu
wrote:

> Subject: HS ARTS ADVOCACY
> From: LEO DAVINCE <ytsirk_uno@yahoo.com>
> Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 07:50:55 -0800 (PST)

Hi Leo,

Here are some resources that you can explore online to provide the material
that you may be looking for. As each situation in each school and school
district is unique, I thought it might be better to provide you with a menu
of possibilities than to be overly specific and miss the mark.

Kevan

Art Advocacy

AAAE Advocacy Pieces: (Arizona Alliance for Arts Education):

* Arizona Arts Standards covering dance, music, theater, visual arts

* Checklist for School¹s Excellence in Arts Education

* Changing the Face of Arts Education

*AAAE Advocacy Piece: Arts: Essential Education for the 21st Century: Facts
and Opinions - Reports I, II
http://artswork.asu.edu/AAAE/Advocacy_Pieces

Association for the Advancement of Arts Education:

How the arts contribute to education, an evaluation of research
http://www.aaae.org/research.html

Art Educators of MN:
http://www.aem-mn.org

Arts Education Partnership:

* administered by the Council of Chief State School Officers and the
Nat¹l Assembly of State Arts Agencies
* informational handout on the functions and purpose of AEP as well as
arts

advocacy information that can be obtained through their organization
including:

* 12 minute video featuring Meryl Streep called "The Arts and Children: A

Success Story"

- The Arts and Education: Partners in Achieving our National Education Goals
(1995)

- Priorities for Arts Education Research
(1997)

- Young Children and the Arts

(1998)
http://aep-arts.org

The Brain by Maria D'Arcangelo:

What is brain-based learning? - FAQ
http://www.ascd.org/pdi/brain/freq.html

Champions of Change: The Impact of the Arts on Learning (AEP release):

* What / How the arts change the learning experience
http://aep-arts.org/Champions.html

Funding Opportunities / Advocacy Resources - Research (AEP release):

* Tips for securing federal funding

* Federal Ed. Policy Statements

* Additional Archives

* Online resource / reference list
http://aep-arts.org/Funding.html
http://aep-arts.org/AR-Research.html

Improving Learning in Schools with Arts Partners in the Community (AEP
release):

* impact of partnership / collaborations used as effective strategies for
the

following:

- improve schools

- improve the quality of learning in the arts

- develop effective criteria

- involve parents and families in student learning

* provide quality professional development of teachers, community
leaders, and artists

- meet the needs of special populations of students

- provide youth with skills to succeed in the 21st century

- develop or implement plans and policies
http://aep-arts.org/LP/LPimpact2.html#3

International Child Art Foundation:

Article in the Washington Times
http://www.washingtontimes.com/entertainment/20020722-94471030.htm

Article in Military Lifestyle.com
http://www.militarylifestyle.com/home/1,1210,S:1350:1:1736,00.html

Article in the Washington Post
http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?pagename=article&node=&contentId=A5
2740-2002Jul10

Minnesota Alliance for Arts in Education:
http://www.allarts4allkids.org/

National Art Education Association:
http://www.naea-reston.org/

NAEP 1997 Arts Report:
http://nces.ed.gov/nationsreportcard/arts/

New Art Basics - Brain Based Visual Education:
http://www.public.iastate.edu/~design/ART/NAB/new.html

National Board for Professional Teaching Standards:
http://www.nbpts.org/right.html

Perpich Center:
MN State Arts High School
http://www.mcae.k12.mn.us/

Art Careers

Art / Art Related Careers:
http://www.ub-careers.buffalo.edu/cdo/cartcare.htm

ArtCareer.net:
http://www.artcareer.net/

Art Careers:
http://www.nycenet.edu/projectarts/PAGES/Careers.htm

ArtLex's Art Page:
http://www.artlex.com/ArtLex/Art.html#anchor1029211

Careers in Art:

Wide variety of links to art careers assembled on this site.
http://www2.wcoil.com/~mdecker/careers.htm

Careers in the Arts Theme Page:
http://www.cln.org/themes/careers_art.html

Visual Arts Career Guide:
http://www.khake.com/page42.html

Visual Nation - Careers in Art:
http://www.visualnation.com/VN1/art_car.html

Art Publications

Artforum:
http://www.artforum.com/index.php?pn=root

Artnews:
http://www.artnewsonline.com

arts - Mpls. Institute of Art:
http://www.artsmia.org

Arts & Activities:
http://www.artsandactivities.com

art-themagazine.com:
http://www.art-themagazine.org

SchoolArts:
http://www.SchoolArts@www.davis-art.com

Art Quotes

ArtQuotes:
http://www.cco.caltech.edu/~rbasu/artquotes.html

Art Quotes - Art Educators of New Jersey:

http://www.aenj.org/links/quotes.html

Clapp's Favorite Art Quotes:
http://johnclapp.com/quotes.htm

Compilation of Artist Statements by Members of the ArtsEdNet Listserv:
http://www.aenj.org/links/quotes.html

Quoteland:
http://www.quoteland.com

ARTS ADVOCAY POINTS

The Importance of a Strong Arts Education in Schools

* The arts engage all students in education, from those who are already
considered successful and are in need of greater challenges, to those who
would otherwise remain disconnected and be at risk of not being able to
realize their own potential for success.

* Through exercising their imaginations, the arts help students to make new
connections, transcend previous limitations and think Œoutside of the box¹.

* Expression in the arts helps students to develop cognitive and physical
skills.

* The arts provide an avenue for students to be able to express themselves
and connect with their peers through personal growth and cooperative
learning experiences.

* The arts are a strong motivator for students to develop self discipline
and social skills.

* The arts encourage self-directed learning, helping to develop the capacity
of students to strive for greater success.

* Each art form brings special ways of perceiving the world and mentally
organizing and retrieving information, utilizing critical thinking and
problem solving skills.

* The arts help to transform the school environment to one of discovery and
learning, breaking down barriers between disciplines and improving the
conditions of learning.

* The arts gives students the opportunity to represent what they have
learned, thus achieving greater comprehension and retention of the material
being covered.

* Art criticism helps students develop observation, analysis, interpretation
and evaluation skills that can be transferred to other areas of study.

* The arts are essential to an understanding of personal, local, national
and global cultures, past and present.

* A strong, sequential arts education program in schools promotes cultural
literacy in our society.

* The arts help to provide experiences for students to continue to become
lifelong learners after they reach adulthood, creating an awareness that
learning is a never-ending process.

* Education in the arts helps students to acquire those skills that will be
essential to their being successful in the new millennium.

Information compiled by Kevan Nitzberg,

AEM President Elect

THE FUNCTIONS OF ART

Art helps us to find a vehicle with which to speak when no Œtraditional¹
means allows us a comprehensive enough avenue to express ourselves fully.

Art gives us a springboard to explore new and unguessed at places within
ourselves, keeping alive the wonder of that which we call life.

Art provides us with a road map with which to navigate the world we live in
and find our own sense of reality as we traverse it.

Art supplies us with the tools to celebrate that which we find beautiful
and, in turn, attempt to try and create our own beauty.

Art challenges people to understand and appreciate both our universality and
diversity, giving us a much wider as well as a more focused lens through
which to view the human experience.

Kevan Nitzberg

---