European itinerary

---------

From: Marian Colman (colmans1_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Nov 26 2002 - 02:40:47 PST

Larry,
I lived in Switzerland for a year so I am able to give you a few
recommendations for Zurich and Lucerne. First of all, Switzerland is the
most beautiful country I have seen. Every inch is like a picture postcard
and is impeccable. It doesn't matter where you are, in the city, in the
rolling countryside or up in the mountains--it is amazing. The cities are
particularly beautiful in the summer due to the flower boxes that adorn
every window and provide splashes of color everywhere. ( did you know the
"geranium police" make sure the business owners and office workers water the
flowers on a regular basis or else there is a fine?) I lived in Berne, but
visited Zurich and Lucerne several times. Everyone told me that Zurich was
just another big impersonal city so I did not expect to like it very much.
I was pleasantly surprised. In addition to the cosmopolitan city center,
Zurich has an "old city" which is delightful to stroll through: small
cobblestone streets, interesting small shops and restaurants, parks etc.
Make sure you go to the Fraumunster to see the stained glass windows by
Chagall and Giacometti. The Bahnhofstrasse runs through downtown. It is
like 5th Ave. in NY- you can walk the entire length and end up at Lake
Zurich. It is pleasant to walk along the quays of the lake to see the
beautiful gardens and open vista.
Lucerne is another city that can be enjoyed soley by walking and soaking up
its beauty and history. Once again, be sure to stroll through the old city.
The central focus of the city is Lake Lucerne with its Kapellbrucke
 covered bridge) which your students will enjoy walking through. My
husband and I took a 2 hour cruise on the lake which was very nice. Don't
miss the Lion monument which is carved out of a sandstone cliff ( right in
the city).
The food in Switzerland is wonderful. Unfortunately the 2 things I liked
the most are not popular with the Swiss in summer ( fondue and raclette) but
I'm sure there are restaurants that serve it to tourists no matter what time
of year it is. Rosti is great ( pan fried potato pancake).
The Swiss people are not an outwardly friendly group as a whole, but they
are polite and the most honest and ethical people I have ever met. Things
are expensive there, but you will never be cheated and the quality is
superb.
Enjoy,
Marian

---