Re: Milan

---------

From: Robert L. Snyder (rsnyder_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Nov 25 2002 - 15:14:06 PST

I was in Milan in '79 and as i recall that at a small museum near
the church of the Last Supper there are a number of Da Vinci's drawings,
designs,
and rough draft renderings for the Last Supper, horses, scupltures,
fortifications that he was commissioned to work on, other paintings and
commisioned works, and such. I found all of these more interesting or at
least as important to see 'up close' and 'in the flesh' as the actual Last
Supper which has been restored and cleaned a number of times; and when
there you find out that you are only allowed to view it from the far side
of (opposite) the mural because of the deterioration, WWII bombing nearby,
and the approx. 500 yrs.

  So catch the museum of Da Vinci's 'other stuff'
and don't forget the magnificent La Scala Opera House, which is an amazing
architectural gem which has an interesting history about how it was built
and includes 4 or maybe 5 levels of balconies. Unfortunately i wasn't able
to see a performance there as the opera house was 'dark' for the 6 days i
was in Milan in 1979, but i tried one of the side doors and it was
unlocked so i crept in, and though it was a bit dark, after a few minutes
my eyes became accustomed and i walked around the carpeted halls towards
the front and found a few workers who were doing some cleaning or
restoration work. They were surprised i got in. i appologized in my
limited Italian. i told them i was all the way here from Maryland and was
returning home the next day and may never have the oppotunity to get back
and that i always wanted to see the 'belissimo' La Scala (which was an
exaggeration, u know, of course) but hey - it worked - and they showed my
in to the theater and then they hits several of the lights - so that i
could look up and all around me - i never forget that experience.

As i recall La Scala O.H. is about 4 or 5 blocks from the huge gothic
cathedral, which is in the center of Milan.

- Rob, Maryland