Re: Teaching to Proficiencies (use buzz words)

---------

From: Jancy & Mike Cossin (jmcossin_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Nov 25 2002 - 13:34:26 PST

Bunki- you are definitely right. Once administrators recognize these buzz words they suddenly realize what we do. Those little words are the best advocacy. It's just sad that sometimes we have resort to that so that other people realize what we do is valuable.
Jancy
 Bunki Kramer <bkramer@srvusd.k12.ca.us> wrote:from: Bunki Kramer (bkramer@srvusd.k12.ca.us)
Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
Danville, CA 94526
Krista Ranly wrote:
My principal's evaluation was wonderful, but he wants me to focus on creating my lessons so that they'll assist with preparting my students for the 4th and 6th grade proficiencies.
********************

I agree with Sandy. You're surely preparing your students for proficiencies as you do your lessons....but....maybe you should start looking around for the proper "buzz words" to sprinkle into your vocabulary. Things like:

critical thinking/logical outcomes
critiquing
interpretation
assessment
analytical problem solving
cross-curriculum
concrete/abstract

...are you getting my drift? Big words tend to impress those administrators who are looking for just those special words. We keep doing basically the same projects but the words tend to change every 4 years or so. (I'm sure the rest of you are grinning at this point and noddin' your heads).

Can others add to this list? I'm SURE I've left out some of the best "goodies". Toodles....Bunki