HS ARTS ADVOCACY

---------

From: LEO DAVINCE (ytsirk_uno_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Nov 25 2002 - 07:50:55 PST

For as many years as I can remember, perceptions and
attitudes about the Arts have remained unchanged.
Students and especially guidance personnel have a low
priority and recognition about these subject areas.
In our school district, students entering HS must
complete one Arts credit before graduating. I know in
same states that sometimes even this does not exist.
I am looking for answers and ways to promote the Arts
in secondary school so that students will take more
than just the required credit and school guidance
personnel will encourage students to take further
courses. Guidance personnel get up in arms around
here when our Arts teachers complain of low
enrollments due to students being directed to take
other more important areas that will get them into
colleges and universities. Arts teachers complain
also that when this happens they become the dumping
ground and are sent students who as a last resort or
to meet class schedules are forced to take Art. This
becomes a delemma to teachers who want students but
can't get the ones who interested enough in the
subject and are prevented from taking them because of
graduation demands. Does anyone have any suggestions,
solutions or ideas on how to advocate the Arts in
order to keep them alive and important.