Re: college recomendations

---------

From: Joe Applebaum (Joe.Applebaum_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Nov 25 2002 - 06:31:22 PST

I also have to write a lot of recomendations for my students. The hardest
are the students who aren't the best. I do look for the good things that
they do, maybe helping other students, being responsible, trustworthy etc.
 As to their artistic ability I write things such as So-and-so needs more
experience, confidence and training to become a successful artist. That
opens the door for them, without compromising what you believe. (unless
you think they have no chance, and who is to say what a successful artist
is,?) If it's an art school, hopefully they ask for a portfolio, that
should be the student's real ticket or not. If they don't need a
portfolio, then the school isn't concerned with how talented the student
is. So talk about the students character. If you don't think highly of a
student as a person, don't write the recommendation. I hope this helps
some. I would like it if you could send me some examples of what you
write, I wouldn't mind sharing some of mine, they do all start to sound
alike, and it would be nice to come up with some different formats and
ideas.

Joe

---