Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: artsednet digest: November 24, 2002

From: Kevan Nitzberg (knitzber_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Nov 25 2002 - 04:22:07 PST

on 11/25/02 2:00 AM, ArtsEdNet Talk digest at

> Subject: college recomendations
> From: Patricia Knott <>
> Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 15:30:28 -0500
> Does anybody know a site to get a good overview of writing college admission
> recommendations for high school students. I've been writing these for
> years, but feel what I write is repetitive and worn out.
> I have two to do tonight and I question the ability of both students,
> although I would never say that in a letter. It gets harder and harder to
> write these things.
> Any guide lines?
> Patty
I know the dilemma that you are facing quite well. I have had to seriously
consider if I could even recommend a few students at all in the past, and on
a couple of occasions have respectfully declined to do so suggesting that
there might be another instructor who knew them better that I did and could
do a more comprehensive and effective job writing a letter of

When I do write a letter, I usually hit upon the following points as they
relate to the student:

1) Level of ability demonstrated in specific areas / assignments relating to
both other students work as well as my own expectations.

2) Conscientiousness of student in attending to the work at hand.

3) Attitude / personability / maturity of student.

4) Discussions I have had with the student regarding his / her future plans.

5) Level of goal orientation demonstrated by the student.

6) Other details concerning the student's accomplishments in the school and

Hope that this proves to be helpful.