Re: artsednet digest: November 24, 2002

---------

From: Kevan Nitzberg (knitzber_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Nov 25 2002 - 04:22:07 PST

on 11/25/02 2:00 AM, ArtsEdNet Talk digest at artsednet@lists.pub.getty.edu
wrote:

> Subject: college recomendations
> From: Patricia Knott <pknott@enter.net>
> Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 15:30:28 -0500
>
> Does anybody know a site to get a good overview of writing college admission
> recommendations for high school students. I've been writing these for
> years, but feel what I write is repetitive and worn out.
> I have two to do tonight and I question the ability of both students,
> although I would never say that in a letter. It gets harder and harder to
> write these things.
> Any guide lines?
>
> Patty

I know the dilemma that you are facing quite well. I have had to seriously
consider if I could even recommend a few students at all in the past, and on
a couple of occasions have respectfully declined to do so suggesting that
there might be another instructor who knew them better that I did and could
do a more comprehensive and effective job writing a letter of
recommendation.

When I do write a letter, I usually hit upon the following points as they
relate to the student:

1) Level of ability demonstrated in specific areas / assignments relating to
both other students work as well as my own expectations.

2) Conscientiousness of student in attending to the work at hand.

3) Attitude / personability / maturity of student.

4) Discussions I have had with the student regarding his / her future plans.

5) Level of goal orientation demonstrated by the student.

6) Other details concerning the student's accomplishments in the school and
community.

Hope that this proves to be helpful.

Kevan

---