Re: architecture book - Beth

---------

From: Sandy Bacon (sbacon_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Nov 24 2002 - 19:40:01 PST

Beth,

The name of the book is What It Feels Like to be a Building written by
Forest Wilson. It's original publication was in 1969, sorta old, but it
has wonderful examples of all types of architecture from different
cultures and time periods. In the introduction, and I quote,
"Architecture can be understood by everyone. You can feel gravity,
therefore you can begin to feel architecture. Buildings experience the
same stresses and strains of gravity that man does himself. For this
reason, it is possible to translate the basic laws of building into
physical feeling." This is the principle they attempt to introduce.
 All of the particular aspects of architecture, such as, columns, beams,
buttresses, corbels, etc. are all highlighted in red and then a human
figure is drawn in its place. They use terms like "squick, squeeze,
droop, bend tug brace, etc." to describe the physical feeling that the
particular architectural unit does. I love the book. It may not be
for everyone, but I thnk it serves as a wonderful introduction.
Children, especially elementary, relate to the "feeling" so well.

I am so happy...one of our third grade teachers whose brother is an
architect, is coming to speak to the children. This also ties in with
our "careers in art" theme with which two third grades and one fourth
grade teacher have asked me to help. The educator from the museum is
also coming. The educator is going to desribe his role as an artist at
the museum and present a slide show about all the other jobs at the
museum. After his visit we are going to see the new Aminah Robinson
exhibit and visit the metropolitan library where one of her murals and
individual works of art hang. We have a muralist coming to work with
the kids after the museum trip. I am so excited!

What a year!
Hope this book helps,
Sandy

Elizheisey@aol.com wrote:

>Yes, Sandy the book sounds intriguing. I would love to know the title or
>author.
>Beth

---