Clay figures

---------

From: Ricardo Ramirez (rramirez2_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Nov 24 2002 - 18:30:49 PST

Greetings,

   My students will be creating a clay figure for either a local hero
or an (original) super hero.
They have done three sketches in his or her sketchbook and have written
a one page paper about their heroes. We even typed the papers in the
lab and scanned the drawings to the stories With all the effort put
into creating the profiles, the students informed me that they wanted
to push the assignment and have their sculptures have x-ray vision and
glowing bodies/weapons, etc.
  I informed them that a glow -in-the-dark paint with a flourescent
light can be used to attain that effect. I thought about running a wire
and bulb through the figure ...like a miniature lamp......and have the
students hollow out the head and cut out the eyes. Some will also be
making the clothes from all the material donated to the visual arts
department (fake fur, leather, etc)
 Has anyone out there done something like this before....I could use
your advice!

Ricardo Ramirez
Art Educator
Crownover Middle School