Re: Need suggestions for degree

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Nov 24 2002 - 07:24:08 PST

Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
Danville, CA 94526
>> on 11/24/02 11:13 AM, brenda robson at bruthrobson@aol.com wrote:
>> I have an associates degree... I am 40 and think it is probably too late to
go
>> back and do algebra, foreign language, etc. Does anyone know of an adult
>> degree program for someone in my shoes.

>From: linda eastman <lindacharlie@wwnet.net>

>...don't let the age thing
> deter you! but think of it as an adventure. perhaps you'll be 45 when you
> graduate but how old will you be in 5 years if you DON'T go back to school??
> linda in michigan
*************************

Can't say it any better than THAT! When I went back into teaching (at age
40) in a new state (CA), I had to get a 5th year of study in order to
certify. I was nervous and worried about how hard it was going to be after
all those years. The opposite happened and I found myself excited and full
of questions to ask the teachers (probably to the point of being a pest) but
I was so caught up in the learning process. Nothing like the first four
years in the 60's when I couldn't wait for my "release" date.

Times have changed and there is an big increase in over-40 students in
college. I think you will find it easier now that you are older. I did. Go
for it and you'll be pleasantly surprised. And I agree with Linda from
Michigan...a wonderful experience!

Oh...and a tip. Go directly to your state's certification office. Don't rely
on a district telling you what you'll need. People at the state
certification office are adept at finding loopholes to help you out with the
process. As an aside...I used my whole 5th year working towards a math
degree to become more marketable in my district at the time. Quite an
adventure for a right-brained thinker. Toodles....Bunki

---