Re: Need suggestions for degree

---------

From: linda eastman (lindacharlie_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Nov 23 2002 - 16:00:20 PST

on 11/24/02 11:13 AM, brenda robson at bruthrobson@aol.com wrote:

> I have an associates degree... I am 40 and think it is probably too late to go
> back and do algebra, foreign language, etc. Does anyone know of an adult
> degree program for someone in my shoes.

hi brenda,
i was 40 when i went back school. had 2yrs of college before i dropped out
to get married in the 60s, then raised a family, worked in graphic arts
before i decided i wanted to teach. so i went back and head a wonderful time
taking all kinds of classes including algebra (which i barely passed in high
school). it was time consuming and expensive and i was 45 when i graduated
(magna cum laude!) but a real sense of accomplishment to have that piece of
paper. now i have a master's degree and I'm in my 9th yr of teaching in
public school and my pay is in the $60K range.

i know of no programs in michigan or ohio that allow you to skip over the
hurdles of taking requirements for bachelor degrees and state teaching
certificates, student teaching being one of them. don't let the age thing
deter you! but think of it as an adventure. perhaps you'll be 45 when you
graduate but how old will you be in 5 years if you DON'T go back to school??

linda in michigan

---