FW: Quotes

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Nov 23 2002 - 20:36:43 PST

About a week ago. Larry Parker offered this quote:

> 'Let us reform our schools and we shall find little reform needed in our
> prisons'
> (John Ruskin, from 'Unto This Last')

I've been holding on to the quote because I'm writing a paper on school
reform at the moment.

Yesterday I experienced the most depressing Inservice day. First was a
presentation on all the drugs being used. It's much scarier than I already
knew. What they are taking and how they connive to use is boggling. Heroin
is becoming the drug of choice. What the presenter showed as far as how
kids hide the paraphernalia for using causes me to suspect everything.
The second part of the day was about school violence. Current conclusions
on what causes tragedies like Columbine point to kids that are not too
stable to begin with triggered to act by "bullying."
The educational reform movement(of the moment) is No Child Left Behind with
emphasis on standards and teaching to tests. How is this going to keep kids
out of prison?

The art room has been the place that the 'disenfranchised" child has always
seemed to gravitate. The art room is a place that child often feels safe to
express and release. Sometimes we see signs before anyone else. Lets be
aware of that and not get so caught up in standards and tests that we forget
the ultimate act is an expression.

Back to Ruskin-- author, critic, observer and author of Modern Painters.
But a Victorian.....

just some very late Saturday night thoughts (while I avoid my paper writing)
Patty

---