Re: Vermiculite and Plaster

---------

From: carolyn roberts (croberts18_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Nov 22 2002 - 17:45:49 PST

Dennis...I think most people mix 1 part vermiculte to 1 part plaster to 1
part warm water...but I find that it's too crumbly for my high school
students...so I mix about 1 cup of vermiculite with 2 cups of plaster and
about 2 cups (or a little less) of warm water. I always try one mixture
ahead of time to see how it comes together. I do this every time that we
use plaster.

Ahead of time, I mix the plaster and vermiculite together in a plastic bag
(not grocery bag) and I have one for each student. When they're ready, they
dump it in a container, add the warm water, mix together...then put back in
the plastic bag...as it begins to thicken (and get warmer) they mold it
somewhat with their hands into a ball or whatever shape...then they remove
it from the plastic bag and place on newsprint to dry overnight.
Carolyn