Re: National Board of Professional Teaching Standards

---------

From: carolyn roberts (croberts18_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Nov 22 2002 - 15:23:16 PST

Andi DiConti wrote:
by the way, is there some kind of
incentive, monetary or otherwise, that would make anyone try to become
nationally certified? it sounds like a lot of work to do; just wondering
since i don't know a lot of people working for one.
We're lucky in North Carolina to have the highest number of NBC teachers.
This is due to the fact that they pay the $2,300 fee, plus you receive and
12% increase in salary for 10 years. Also, they give us 3 days off and pay
for the sub to get your info together to send in.

Check this site...
http://www.nbpts.org/

and check your state to see what incentives are offered.

And BTW...I just received my "box" and I'm just getting started. I'm
frantically reading over the portfolio, studying the standards, and planning
..but we are on the 4x4 system and my classes for this semester will be over
in about 3 weeks. I will start again with new classes right after Christmas
  I'm going to work on this as soon as I get the new students...that is,
BEFORE, they get "warmed up" and LOUD!

I have not had a good semester so far, due to the mix of students in two of
my classes...and I'm looking for a better semester coming up.

And, San D...you definitely must bank your scores and do it again next year.
 These are the things that keep us (who are not NBC)inspired to try for this
..since we keep hearing that 50% do NOT pass the first go 'round.
 Carolyn

IMSTP.gif