Re: vermiculite and asbestos

---------

From: Debbie Stone (dstone_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Nov 22 2002 - 08:13:33 PST

In Wisconsin we have a garden center called Steins. They carry it in bags that contain about 4 cubic feet. As for Asbestos...I've never heard of that. The brand I get is Sunshine Lite. It has a 0 hazard rating and a warning that says inhaling dust may be hazardous to your health. deb

>>> <Iteachart7@aol.com> 11/22/02 09:31AM >>>
Hi All,
I have been using vermiculite to mix in with plaster for a carving compound
for years.
This year I have been unable to find it in my usual haunt; Home Depot. When
I finally got someone from the garden center to help me he said that they
stopped carrying it because it contains Asbestos! I have written to the
Scotts Garden people to ask them and I haven't hears back yet. have any of
you heard such a thing?
this is one of my favorite projects with the kids. I used pearlite this time
but it's just not the same
Peace
Gabrielle