Re: See Frida..but also Bowl. Columbine!

---------

From: Robert L. Snyder (rsnyder_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Nov 21 2002 - 16:07:14 PST

Yes, Yes! see Frida, for God's sake - but also see Bowling for Columbine!!

Everyone has been touting the movie Frida. Yes, its good - i liked it
too. But i think the movie 'Bowling For Columbine" by Michael Moore is
even better - also a 'must-see'. It begins and ends in a school. Begins
with the horror and tradegy of Columbine HS and ends with the incident a
year ago of the little 6 yr old girl fatally shot at an elem. school in
Flint MI by a young boy who found a loaded handgun lying around the house
he was staying in at the time and had brought to school.

The film deals with racism, fear, the gun culture found through out most
of the US, the corporate and special interests that control and influence
out social, economic and political public policies. As educators we know
that these powers and pressures affect us, our schools, their funding
priorities, and issues of safety, the children and their parents that we
interact with day-to-day. This movie got me thinking about our schools,
our society losing its democracy and its civility - and as educators and
ART TEACHERS - just what will our role be in the future and what impact
(if any) will art have on dealing with racism, fear, violence, corporate
injustice, growing apathy, more people (and students) feeling isolated,
frustrated, dissconnected and hopeless about their futures.

After seeing this film, believe me, you will think issues like spitting
or kissing in public to be quite trivial - and by comparison to these more
serious matters that we face as a nation, they are.
- R. Snyder, Maryland

---