Panopticon

---------

From: Frances Marze (fmaiu_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 20 2002 - 17:31:46 PST

To all:

The CArnegie Museum of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania is now showing an absolutely
magnificent exhibition, called Panopticon: An Art Spectacular. In the little
guide, it says " A panopticon is a space in which a viewer can 'see it all'
simply by turning around. This exhibitions, conceived in a traditional, 19th
century design, presents more than 500 works of art from the museum's
collections."

A friend and I went last night to see this and the words and articles in the
newspaper do not prepare one for the spectacular. It was almost overwhelming,
but so enjoyable. It will be at the museum until August and if anyone is a
short distance from Pittsburgh, it would make a nice Saturday or Sunday drive.
But, one cannot see everything really in one day, but an overview. THe curators
did a wonderful job of arranging everything, including quite a large collection
of chairs of every description. Some of the objects, including paintings, were
in storage, others from the permanent collection. I truly enjoyed it and would
encourage anyone to see this.

Website for the Carnegie museum of Art- www.cmoa.org

Phone foradult or school group tours 412-622-3125

The audio tours are free and you get a wonderful little guide; all the works are
numbered clearly so you can cross reference in the guide and also use the audio
guide. I can't wait to return to see it again.
Fran in Pgh

---