Re: is this good enough?

---------

From: Larry Seiler (lseiler_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 20 2002 - 05:40:26 PST

hahaha...reading over responses here. Good ones.

I have my moments where I really go off using vocal inflection and acting to
dramatize things. From sounding like Steve, the Australian outbacker....to
whatever, (as I've shared before)...but, sometimes a student brings up that
"is this good enough?" question, and knowing they are at that "prom"
age....I'll go off.

I'll key them in, use body language and sorta the "visualize this" approach.
Squinting my eyes, "imagine...the guy your going to prom with pulls up with
a small car like a Geo (we live in macho REAL men drive 4x4 truck country!),
half rusted out. Good enough?

Well...he doesn't come up to the door to get you, but keeps hittin the horn.
Your dad's gettin' pretty mad he doesn't have the decency to introduce
himself, but you tell your dad the boy's, "good enough!" ???

You run out...and the guy's car died. No problem though, its the starter
and after you jump in (without him opening the door for you and your dress),
he gets out after putting the car in neutral pushes it as fast as he
can...and hops in and pops it into 2nd gear to start it and off you go with
a slightly louder than normal muffler. Good enough?

You want to hear the radio, (no cd player...and the tape player doesn't
work) he takes a fist and hits the dashboard real hard...and the radio comes
on for about 30 seconds, before he hits it again. Good enough?

For dinner...he brings you to Burger King...forks out that big money, but
then it looks nothing like the picture on the menu board. You can tell the
burger's been sitting on the hotlamp for awhile. All good enough?

By this time of course...they've get the point, some are laughing...and the
one that brought up the question is wishing she or he (change the
storyline...hahahaha) never did. Chances are...they won't again! If they
protest while you're telling the story, get louder and even more
embarrassingly dramatic.

I have advanced students working independently that stop their work when
they hear students ask that question....they wait for what's coming next!
hahahaha

Larry S

---