Re: "is this good enough?"

---------

From: Jane Altshuler (Jane_Altshuler_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Nov 19 2002 - 15:01:23 PST

Excellent email - I just finished writing comments for my 85 lower school
kids and was constantly wondering how they would be interpreted by
parents. In a number of them I encourage the child to "self- correct" or
to be less dependent on me to determine what needs to be done to make
their work excellent. After having them for three years, most of them
don't run up to me after each mark they make and ask "is this good?".
They know that I'm just going to keep sending them back to their seats
until the work is finally as good as they can make it.

It is almost like they "ulnlearn" this, though by the time they are in 6th
grade. I jsut gave my 6th graders and my 4th graders the same assignment.
 The fourth graders became instantly engaged in the artistic process. My
sixth graders mostly slapped something together and refused to make it
better. The "artists" in the class of course made something great. The
rest of them were satisfied with crappy work - I think they have decided
that they are not good artists and can't progress. Ugh.

---