Re: "is this good enough?"

---------

From: kavita ghai (kavitaghai2002_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Nov 19 2002 - 11:00:14 PST

" It is no use saying "we are doing our best." You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary. Winston Churchill
i have tried to explain this to my students many times,thats all i can do i hope they'l realise this ome day,
kavita
 Nnaell@aol.com wrote:I hate that phrase and really start to squash it in ele.!!! When a student
comes up to me and says, " Is this good enough?", I say to them, "What is
good enough?" I then give them some specific questions to ask. This helps
them analyze their work as well as reinforce the lesson/vocabulary/concepts,
etc. After all they are just little kids!

I do agree with you, especially at the high school level, just "trying hard"
isn't good enough. Some kids "try hard" at math, but if they don't get it or
do the work, then they don't get the grade!

I agree with the person who mentioned a rubric. If you are having trouble
with the students/parents re: expectations, a rubric or even a task list of
what you expect them to do for a given grade. I know in art is seems that it
could be more subjective than that, especially for high school, but it will
help. The "A" kids are not going to work any less harder...and the bum kids
are going to know why they didn't make the grade. Especially if you give it
to them as you start the lesson. Also it gives you some weight with the
parent who comes in. You have something written you can share and show them
that the student was well aware of what the requirements/expectations of the
lesson were, and he/she didn't meet those requirements for the grade!

Good Luck!