Eric Carle paper prep and new use for plastic texture sheets

---------

From: linda (lindwood_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Nov 19 2002 - 05:46:39 PST

We have been making paper this week in preparation for Eric Carle style
collages. We have found a new use for the plastic texture sheets that are
traditionally used by placing underneath the paper and rubbing over them
with crayon/pastel/pencil, etc. One of my second graders painted a
texture sheet with watercolor and used it as a stamp. While the
watercolor just beaded up on the plastic, when she pushed it down on the
paper, it spread the watercolor beads out into the full design, still
leaving the negative space in between the raised relief of the plastic
texture sheet. We have been making designs with pastels or crayons on
white paper, painting a wash atop that, and then stamping designs with the
texture sheets over dry wash. These are multilayered designs that are
GORGEOUS!
Leave it to a second grader to try to stamp watercolor designs with
plastic...a surface that makes water bead up. Who'd a thunk?

---