RE: "is this good enough?"

---------

From: Lawrence A. Parker (occti_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Nov 18 2002 - 21:14:57 PST

No one gives me a good grade for my good intentions and letting kids
continue to get away with it is a disservice to the child. nancy gail
in texas

Wonderfully said, nancy. I see this everywhere up here. I've been
tutoring since this past summer a girl who was passed on to her senior
year carrying a D+ average. What the hell is that supposed to prove?
Is it supposed to make her feel good? Believe me, she's not that
stupid. Is it supposed to make the school look good? Come on - who's
fooling whom? As I told our daughter this evening, you can rub a piece
of coal with a cotton wad as long as you want but you'll never get a
diamond. Producing a diamond out of a piece of coal takes work and a
lot of it.

If we could get paid for good intentions, most of us would be
millionaires. But letting kids slide so they can feel good, or so that
the school can "look good" only does, as you say, a disservice to the
child. And this is what needs to be impressed upon both the child and
the parent. It would be too much to expect them to understand that the
disservice to the child becomes the disservice to the community, and
then to the world.

If they can't understand any of this, just tell them "Tanstaafl" *

* "There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

---