Re: "is this good enough?"

---------

From: barbara marder (marder3_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Nov 18 2002 - 20:32:17 PST

I have them complete a homework assignment for an A. Every parent
understands this-no homework, no A.
I have a rubric for all work-so parents can see specifically where their kid
excelled or fell short.
Barbara from Boston

11/18/02 10:51 PM

evening all,
monday, 7:45 am, assistant principal's office
student(crying), mom(crying), asst. principal-dazed,
   and me(fuming)
student says the reason she has a 66 in my fibers class is because in her
words, "she told us not to ask questions so I didn't. I turned everything in
and I just can't understand why I am failing."
What I said was "when you ask 'is this good enough, miss?' good enough is
meeting the minimum requirements which is a 70."
Assistant principal does get onto the student (a little) about speaking up
and asking questions again and asks me if I could keep a closer eye on
little "___" because she is too timid to come to me for help. Mom insinuates
that I "have it out for her precious." Well I didn't before today but, it
sure will color how I see her in my class from now on.
I am SO frustrated with the idea that a kid deserves an "A" just for "trying
hard." No one gives me a good grade for my good intentions and letting kids
continue to get away with it is a disservice to the child.This year's
freshmen are the biggest bunch of babies I have ever seen and their mommies
are even worse. This is the 2nd mom of a kid from the same class who made a
scene in the counselor's office because her child was failing. Both kids sat
next to each other.
Sorry for the long moan. I guess I need to know if I am being too tough.
thanks for reading and hope everyone has a great tuesday,
nancy gail in texas