re:"is this good enough?"

---------

From: gail kizis (smokealarm7_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Nov 18 2002 - 19:51:51 PST

evening all,
monday, 7:45 am, assistant principal's office
student(crying), mom(crying), asst. principal-dazed,
    and me(fuming)
student says the reason she has a 66 in my fibers class is because in her words, "she told us not to ask questions so I didn't. I turned everything in and I just can't understand why I am failing."
What I said was "when you ask 'is this good enough, miss?' good enough is meeting the minimum requirements which is a 70."
Assistant principal does get onto the student (a little) about speaking up and asking questions again and asks me if I could keep a closer eye on little "___" because she is too timid to come to me for help. Mom insinuates that I "have it out for her precious." Well I didn't before today but, it sure will color how I see her in my class from now on.
I am SO frustrated with the idea that a kid deserves an "A" just for "trying hard." No one gives me a good grade for my good intentions and letting kids continue to get away with it is a disservice to the child.This year's freshmen are the biggest bunch of babies I have ever seen and their mommies are even worse. This is the 2nd mom of a kid from the same class who made a scene in the counselor's office because her child was failing. Both kids sat next to each other.
Sorry for the long moan. I guess I need to know if I am being too tough.
thanks for reading and hope everyone has a great tuesday,
nancy gail in texas

---