RE: after-school class

---------

From: kavita ghai (kavitaghai2002_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Nov 17 2002 - 08:08:27 PST

jan,what is the age group of kids u have ,i mean for one project do u have same age levels or different,
though i havn't done stage sets with my students i have made them work in groups ,both with different age groups as well as same age grp,
its best for u to find out who is interested in what particular aspect and divide them into smaler grps ,u can also have rotating leader ship amongst them whenever i work like this with them ,i make it clear that when they work in a grp they have to show the grp spirit and not complain abt each other ,so that ways i can let them do their work and without them troubling me again and again ,though i have to ensure that what they are doing is upto the standards expected from them
also divide the works into very small sections so that the leadership can go to maximum students ,which keeps them on their feet to show that they are good ,and this way all the students show responsibility towards the project ,
i constantly believe in giving then pep talks abt the fact that the work they are doing is theirs and they have to show their best ,and also discuss individual performances and mistakes once in a while .
a good carrot always helps if they know they'll get some thing as a form of apreciation after they have done the particular work
i keep giving them participation /appreciation cards ,which are small handmade cards made by us (me and them) r during our free or extra times.
kavita

 "Hillmer, Jan" <hillmjan@Berkeleyprep.org> wrote:Beth, I'd be very interested in what you might want to share. I do sets
for the 4th and 5th grade plays - I want the children to be more
involved, but I am having trouble trying to figure out how to juggle a
classroom full of kids, sets, paint, etc. Right now I'm considering two
projects happening at once, the sets/props, and an art project that the
kids could pretty much manage by themselves. Any ideas and or

Jan