Re: couple of questions about clay

---------

From: linda eastman (lindacharlie_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Nov 15 2002 - 22:09:51 PST

on 11/17/02 2:12 AM, BibelotsOutpost@aol.com at BibelotsOutpost@aol.com
wrote:

> 1) When you make those leaf impression bowls, what kind of
> leaves do you use? Are they very large? Do they have to be
> fresh green leaves or can they be pressed or preserved somehow?
> What implement do elem. kids use to cut them out?
the bigger the leaf, the bigger the bowl if you're referring to the ones you
drape over a plastic bowl. i don't think it matters if they are fresh or
pressed dry but it would be easier to remove a fresh leaf after pressing it
into the clay. dry ones might crumble. of course you could leave them in the
clay and let them burn off. cut them out with plastic knives or a sharp
pencil or one of those needle tools, anything that will do the trick.
> 2) When you need to make a hole in a hollow piece, how big does the
> hole need to be? Will just a very small one do?
i use a plastic straw to punch a hole for venting a hollow piece or a hole
for hanging
> 3) When you do a slab project, can you roll the slabs in advance and
> keep them moist somehow, or does it have to be done on the spot?
> What grade level is old enough to roll their own slabs?
with a little help kdg can do this. it's like rolling out cookie dough (in
case anyone still does that!). tape 2 paint sticks or wood lathe or rulers
together to make 1/4" thick guides. cut wooden closet poles to 14" lengths.
place a ball of clay between 2 guides and you're ready to roll. you'll have
to show some of the kinders how to use the flats of their hands on the
rollers so they don't squish their fingers.

good kinder project for learning to roll slabs: use terra cotta clay and a
gingerbread man cookie cutter. press in the eyes, buttons etc. punch a hole
in the top w/ a straw and "bake." use white glaze to "frost" and thread a
red ribbon through the hole for a hanger. holiday ornament just in time for
the coming season. try and get a parent or 2 to come and help with this if
your kinders lack good motor skills and strength.

linda in michigan

---