Re: clogged drains

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Nov 15 2002 - 08:08:31 PST

Jan,

Chemical drain openers probably wouldn't do the trick anyway. It will
require someone removing the lower end of the pipe, where it curves, and
cleaning out the gunk that's trapped in there. After that, buy the
Rubbermaid wash basins that sit in the sinks and require the students to
do all washing of clay-ey hands/tools and acrylic-covered tools in
those. The heavy materials will sink to the bottom of the tubs while
less-laden water will drain off the top and down the drain. You may
find you lose fewer tools and brushes down the drains as well. Have a
couple of students take the tubs outside to dump the water out; if we're
using acrylic I have them dump the water into the dumpsters so it
doesn't pollute the ground.

Maggie

"Hillmer, Jan" wrote:

> Hi Friends,
> Maybe you can help me out here. I have been at my school for 11/2 yrs
> now, and the drains in my 2 sinks have been slow since I've been here.
> How often do you all have to have your drain s unclogged? What can I do
> to avoid this? I am very careful, since the drain is slow, but the
> physical plant is already unhappy with me. This has not been a problem
> at my other schools. What do you and don;t you rinse down the drain?

---