RE: RE: clogged sinks

---------

cvsnare_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Fri Nov 15 2002 - 07:45:02 PST

I too have had the same problems with clogged drains. I agree that the two biggest culprits are clay and acrylic paint (that is besides the kids who intentionally try to clog the drains!) I've also had to remove a trap from under a sink, trying to unclog it, only to find several missing paint brushes. I use what I call a "sludge bucket" for clay solids and thick slip -- having the kids to dump their water/slip mixtures into the bucket, rather than pouring them down the sink. Of course, every so often we have to empty the buckets outside, or at least pour the water off the top. I also do my best to have kids clean any solids or semi-solids out of their paint containers before washing them in the sink, but, of course, I'm not always successful at doing that.
Jeff Abney
Haralson County High School
Tallapoosa, Georgia

tom johnsen <koordt@saber.net> wrote:

>I've had the same problem, but discovered that a lot of brushes, the
>small ones, disappeared over the years--so I took the P trap off, and
>lo, there they were, filtering the additional gunk, slowing the fluids,
>filling the sink, exasperating the teacher--now I have a small screen to
>filter the needed from the not needed, and a plumber's friend to keep
>the openings open. By the way our agriculturally based community high
>school has a sewer alarm located inside my kiln room. It's like general
>quarters, like a klaxon, like LOUD? I will try to find a way to tell the
>kids its because someone is using their cell-phone in class. Its the
>cell-phone sensor.
>
>Tom in potter, back from the hinterlands.

---