Re: wise-guy 8th grader

---------

From: danna fuller (danna_fuller_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Nov 14 2002 - 08:09:07 PST

Hi, Mike Sacco, new to jr. hi--
I had a real wise guy once, he thought art was stupid, and tried to say so as often as possible. I handled him by not getting bothered, (at least that he could see) and not letting him dominate the other kids. I listened to what he said (usually, it was during discussion while viewing slides,) if it was not relevant to our discussion, I'd say "thanks for sharing" or something like that and move on. Your kid could be covering up for feeling inadequate as an artist. If he's smart, it could be a really big problem for him that goes further than art. You can't solve that problem, and you shouldn't waste energy trying. However, I would reinforce anything positive he does, ask questions back to him, possibly ask him to research any topic he brings up as a "challenge" for his "superior intellect," and ask him to help you with little jobs to help him feel like you're not his enemy. It is possible that his parents or grandparents or older sibling thinks art is "not a real subject" and he is just repeating what
 he heard them say.
Just suggestions, works for me . . .
Danna in Michigan