Re: artsednet digest: November 13, 2002

---------

From: Kevan Nitzberg (knitzber_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Nov 14 2002 - 04:24:37 PST

on 11/14/02 2:00 AM, ArtsEdNet Talk digest at artsednet@lists.pub.getty.edu
wrote:

> Subject: how to paint mural
> From: "Michelle Molnar" <mmolnar1@msn.com>
> Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 20:57:39 -0000
>
> Hello! My High School Art Club will be painting a large outdoor mural this
> year and I need some info. How do we prep the wall before we begin painting
> (it is a brick wall)? Is exterior latex paint the best way to go? When we
> are done painting, do we need to seal it with anything? Any advice you
> could give or resources you could direct me to would be greatly appreciated.
> Thank you! You all are awesome!
> -Michelle
Any surface that is not previously painted should receive a coat of primer
to insure adherence of the paint. Exterior latex is a good choice for
painting the mural as it dries with a protective, glossy coat that resists
dirt and moisture. In painting murals in the schools I have taught in, I
too have been curious about protective coating the work, but have been
advised by a number of commercial painters and paint manufacturers that
there is no need to add another layer of exterior latex paint. What can
happen is that the surface of the paint will yellow and you will not get the
true coloration of the paint that had initially been applied. Even UV
protective coating materials will cause this to happen as well. Murals that
I have painted using interior, semi-gloss finishes I have occasionally
applied an acrylic sealant to in spray form, but the use of a gloss exterior
latex eliminates the need for that.

Kevan

---