Re: Males in Portraits???

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 13 2002 - 15:24:21 PST

There are a number of religious paintings, usually of Mary and Jesus,
with the artist's patrons portrayed on the sides. More specifically:
van Eyck, The Wedding of Arnolfini (I'd love to see sixth graders posed
like that!)
Holbein the Younger, The French Ambassadors
El Greco, Fray Felix Hortensio Paravicino
Velasquez, Juan de Pareja; and that young prince on horseback (or was
that Goya?)
Rubens, Charles I
Rembrandt and Hals have several portraits and self-portraits with
interesting poses
David, Death of Marat
Gericault, Mounted Officer
Titian, Man with the Glove

Maggie

> The Austin's wrote:
>
> My 6th graders are going to be studying famous portraits and painting
> a self-portrait in the same style (with a little help from my digital
> camera!). I can find alot of portraits of females in various styles
> and poses, but I am struggling with finding males as the subject
> matter.

---