Re: Classroom management in the elementary school

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Nov 07 2002 - 15:09:18 PST

Read Harry Wong's book The First Days of Schools right away, and
implement his suggestions ASAP. You need to develop specific procedures
for your classes and get the kids into a routine. For instance, how
will they enter the classroom and be seated? How will you signal them
to be quiet and listen? What sorts of consequences will there be for
infractions? With your schedule, the kids need to know exactly what's
expected of them and perform these procedures like clockwork. Even if
you have to spend valuable class time practicing the procedures, it will
be time well-spent.

If there is a teacher who seems to have a good management program in
place talk to him/her and try to observe the class routine.

Good luck. I admire any elementary art teacher and am soooo-ooooo glad
I teach HS!

Maggie