Re: art isn't a real subject

---------

From: Nancy Walkup (nwalkup_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Nov 11 2002 - 06:41:00 PST

And, you wouldn't expect a student to learn how to play the piano by
having him sit down at the piano and teach himself.

Nancy

>>> whest177@wheatstate.com 11/06/02 10:18PM >>>
I like to compare art to music - I ask them if they were to sit down at
the
piano for the first time would they be able to play Bethovan. Of course
they
say no. Then I ask them if they thought that if they practiced awhile
would
they be able to play a simple song decently. If they practiced everyday
would they get really good? Well, in art, the more you practice the
better
you get. Also, NO, not everyone can get "good" at science and math. Some
have to work really hard just to pass (just like art). :-)
~Michal

> A wise aleck 8th grader, who I've had discipline problems with
> before,
> told me today that art wasn't a "real" subject. In a
non-confrontational

> manner I asked him why he believed this. His response, "because math,
> science, etc, you can learn to be good at, art you can't.
> I'm wondering how many of you out there would respond to this,
>
> mike sacco
> new to jr. high

---
leave-artsednet-7600Y@lists.getty.edu