Re: Classroom management in the elementary school

---------

From: linda (lindwood_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Nov 07 2002 - 19:42:45 PST

I have a very easy discipline system. I have a book, called "the Guest
Book" that lives on my back counter in the corner. I have a class list
for every class I teach with categories across the page..."disruptive
during demonstration time", "not working", "noisy or rowdy", not cleaning
up", "unsafe behavior", "rude", and "other". It's quite simple. One
warning per category per class, unless if it is something really blatant
and serious. After that one warning, the child is asked to go sign the
guest book. They leave the group, we go right on without him/her. They
find their class list, find their name, locate the column that fits the
reason, and put a check in the box. Nothing happens for the first check
in any given category. The second check in any one category results in a
5 minute time out. The third check in any category results in a 15 minute
time out. THe fourth check in any given category results in a note home
to be signed and a full time out. To be honest, I use it mostly at the
beginning of the year. Kids get the point really quickly. It's
innocuous, takes no effort on my part, and it works really well. If the
whole group is getting a little loud, after a warning that the next who
are that loud will have to sign the guest book, they are all angels again.
 Works like a charm.

---