Re: Classroom management in the elementary school

---------

From: Rick (rlarson_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Nov 07 2002 - 13:07:42 PST

Hi Steven, Get them into a routine when they first come into class. For 3-6 I
have two students pass out sketchbooks, once everyone is seated. They do
thumbnails and notes on the lesson. If they are in the middle of a lesson,
pass them out anyway, to keep up the routine and if they finish up early. We
made simple ones using office zerox, with white oak tag covers, hole punched
and tied with yarn.
Also, Some things I do that help me;
Wait for silence before talking, giving directions, etc. You might do this by
putting your arm up( Wong) or some other signal. I sit on my stool in the
front and start looking to see who is listening. Then say, I see that so and
so is ready...etc
( smile) also, you are going to have to simplify and organize. Don't try to
do too much in one class period. Have the first class be cleaned up and lined
up by the time the other class is coming in. I have a table that I sequence
the work for the classes- ie:1st period, 2nd period,. Do not have them all
doing big projects at once ( clay for ie.) Have about half the grades doing
flat work, I do one 3d at a grade level at a time. Lastly, are you the only
elementary school in your district?
If not, see what the other schedules are. You should be at least five days
with that many kids.- your new, so unless you joined the union, you may be
stuck for a while. Hang in there. Can you talk to your principal? It is a very
hard thing you are being asked to do. I will bet you a dollar that there isn't
another teacher in your district carrying that kind of load, unless, of
course, they are the other art teacher.
I feel for you. It sounds like your principal wanted to give everyone a plan
period at your expense-
Try to make the best of it. Don't let the kids see you sweat!
Betsy

Steven wrote:

> I'm having trouble managing my classes. I'm a first year teacher and I'm

---