sketchbooks

---------

From: artappeal (artappeal_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 06 2002 - 19:22:35 PST

Well, it has taken me several weeks, but I finally finished binding (with
binding machine and plastic combs) all my third, fourth, and fifth graders'
sketchbooks. I'm not sure how useful they will ultimately be (because I'm
not sure students will faithfully bring them back to class) but the students
are soooooooo excited. Teachers have been telling me about how their
students are drawing in the books during free time. Students even want to
take them home to work in them. This is the kind of excitement I had hoped
to generate. I plan to give sketchbook assignments during some classes, but
I don't plan to give "homework" I'm trying to let students use the books
because they want to use them. If you are interested, I'll share the
handout I gave about how and why they may want to use a sketchbook. Oh,
btw, my classroom teachers agreed to let students keep the books somewhere
in the classroom so that the books can be accessed at any time. I suggested
that teachers make a sketchbook reminder before art class part of their
routine. Oh, and the covers are cool, we colored our designs with sharpie
markers and crayons, then we marbled the covers with chalk floated on water.

Leah

---