RE: People not understanding the stress and strains of teaching

---------

From: Kimberly Herbert (kherbert_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 06 2002 - 16:11:09 PST

I have no faith in standardized tests. I can use logic and my knowledge
of Latin and a little Greek to ace almost any standardized test while
not understanding any of the material. That said.

Even when you do well on THE TEST - people find a way to backhand you.
Last year our school missed Exemplary by .4 of a point. (We scored an
89.6 you have to have 90 for exemplary) At our big district workshop
before school started, people came up and cooed "Your school did so well
for your population". It made my blood boil. Yes our kids are poor and
some of our parents work 2 - 3 jobs to put food on the table - but our
kids are capable of anything their kids are capable of doing!!!!!!!!!!!

I not only grew up in Memorial - I went to Memorial HS! You could not
pay me enough to work in a "rich" school. I saw what my classmates
parents tried to do to teachers (not to even mention the chief of police
when he arrested their kids for drunk driving).
Sincerely,
Kimberly Herbert