Re: art isn't a real subject

---------

From: KPRS (KPRS_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 06 2002 - 19:03:05 PST

While we are 'preaching' to the choir when it comes to this argument, I will
tell you that art and science have more in common than the common man
thinks...both are seeking the truth.

But in a down to earth manner, people can quantify science and math but not
art, and so therefore, like the word like 'faith', 'art' becomes that which
is undefineable in a common denominator sort of way. When weighing out food
for the stomach or food for the soul, the masses will choose food (i.e. tax
dollars) first, although both are needed in order to survive. As for the
elimination of art programs, we live in a world that revolves around money,
and to be specific, taxes. Our jobs are directly linked to the property
taxes in town. When you start to pit aesthetics and philosophy against the
real and tangible (i.e. dollars, science and math), aesthetics and culture
inevitably lose. Until man realizes that everyone has the ability to express
themselves, and that expression can be enhanced by 'learning' about
aesthetic decision making, art will always remain on the back burner,
sizzling as a frill subject matter.

My district removed Home economics, Industrial Arts, and Photography from
the curriculum and kept Art. I wonder if they had not been mandated by the
state to do so (it is considered a core curriculum standard thanks to the
very hard work of art educators in New Jersey), would they have made that
noble gesture?

San D

---