Re: art isn't a real subject

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 06 2002 - 15:00:55 PST

The perception that art is not a real subject does not come from us, the art
teachers, of course, but from the lies fed.

What is getting "good" at art? Is it being able to draw a bottle in a full
value scale? or is it about the ability to perceive conditions and
translate that to a personal expression?

When art programs are the first to be cut, come budget crunch time, why
should we ever expect any child to value the program? .... no matter how we
advocate.

Why is Math and Science more important than art? I mean this as a serious
question? Why ?
Patty

>> His response, "because math, science, etc, you can learn to be good
> at, art you can't.
>
> Mike,
>
> If that's his only criterion, then tell him that Art then *is* a *real*
> subject, because you can improve your skills and get [better] at it.
> Not everyone gets "good" at it, but then not everyone gets "good" at
> Math, Physics, English, Philosophy. Most people are able to become
> reasonably proficient in the basics of most things,...with diligence and
> practice.
>
> Lar

---