Re: Understanding poverty and Ruby Payne

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 06 2002 - 08:20:23 PST

Rich or poor, kids come to us with a whole lotta baggage. Simply having
an elegant roof over your head and summer vacations in Europe do not
necessarily make a happy, well-adjusted kid. I student-taught in a
wealthy district in Tucson and saw the pressures those kids were facing
from parents and peers. The Tucson parents felt much more impowered to
speak up, often to the point of interfering, and felt no compunction
about going over a teacher's or principal's head straight to the school
board. I've since been teaching literally 180 miles and 180 degrees
from there on a reservation, and while some pressures may be more
severe--like having no food at night or on weekends--they face many of
the same fears as those kids in Tucson.

Maggie

Jayna Huffines wrote:

> <snip> however, I felt we got a lot of
> useful information, even if some teachers argued that
> the wealthy were being pigeon-holed and stereotyped
> during the presentation, and one guy even suggested
> that we should be careful in how we teach and
> communicate with the wealthy, not just the
> impoverished.

---