RE: cultural capital has no art

---------

Renee.Berg_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Wed Nov 06 2002 - 06:04:19 PST

<I live in Fort Worth Texas, home of the Kimball, Among Carter and Modern
Museums. A city which bills itself as the "Cultural Capitol of the
Southwest" is doing away with its elementary art program. Has anyone else
had to work to save their program> Any suggwhat we can do?

A few years back we had some administration that thought they would do away with our elementary art too. We called supportive, vocal parents, school board members, had our State organizations that support the arts come in and speak to the school board. We formed a group of people to educate the public and the school board on the importance of the arts. We won, and we still have art in the elementary. Now we are fighting to add it to Kindergarten.
Renee Berg
6th,7th Art and 8th grade Art Tech
Mitchell Public Schools
Mitchell, SD