Re: People not understanding the stress and strains of teaching

---------

From: Christa Wise (cwise_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 06 2002 - 05:47:22 PST

Re: "Right now, teachers are being held accountable for low test scores. "

OOOO, this got me in a lather...The respect issue is that the public and
politicians all seem to know how to teach better than we do. The is a
general consensus that we don't know what we are doing.

The governor in Michigan (Engler - be happy he could not deliver Michigan
to Bush or he might be Sec'y of Education right now) decided he would give
standardized tests to see which schools are failing so they would shape up.
 Government seems to think kids are cars on an assembly line. If you just
do "This" to them they will all come out reading. What fools. Kids do not
come with the same raw material. We have no quality control, and we can't
reject a sub-standard shipment.

Actually, if you gave me students who got three squares a day, a minimum of
five hugs, eight hours of sleep, and a half an hour of quality conversation
with a caregiver, I'd volunteer to teach them anything.

We are not the problem.
Christa

---