Re: Understanding poverty and Ruby Payne

---------

From: Jayna Huffines (jayna_99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 06 2002 - 04:33:04 PST

We just finished this workshop at school, and for me
it was a large disappointment because so many of our
teachers are in the suburbia mindset. We have so few
at our school who qualify for free or reduced lunch,
and our test scores are the highest in the county, so
many of our staff did not feel that the workshop was
relevant for us. however, I felt we got a lot of
useful information, even if some teachers argued that
the wealthy were being pigeon-holed and stereotyped
during the presentation, and one guy even suggested
that we should be careful in how we teach and
communicate with the wealthy, not just the
impoverished. We were all like, ok, whatever.
Sometimes your coworkers' behavior can make a six hour
required workshop a real downer.

Jayna