Re: People not understanding the stress and strains of teaching

---------

From: Michele Berlin (stardust606_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Nov 05 2002 - 15:26:53 PST

Sidnie,
I don't think we are forgetting about people in non-teaching jobs. After all I
didn't start teaching until I was about 28, and had held down several other
jobs before finding my niche. Yes, they are tiring. And yes, we had a family
business that I worked in and watched my father bust his back every day , (he
was a mechanic), and come home very late hours only to find out that we were
still broke.
 However, I do believe that this list is our one refuge to come and vent about
our life and our day. The only place where somebody else understands us. Let's
face it, how many times can I vent to my poor husband, and he tries to be
understanding. We are all teachers and we walk the same mile everyday. Our
venting may seem like an exaggeration because this is a teachers list. And
yes, maybe we seem to do alot of it, but where else are we supposed to go? We
are teachers of art, and are faced with somewhat of a different challenge than
some other subject teachers. Therefore, we come here, were we are understood
and accepted.
I do respect the rest of the working world. I just wish they would respect me
a little bit more. If I hear one more person say, you are so lucky to get off
at three o'clock, I will scream.
Michele

Sidnie Miller wrote:

> You all seem to be assuming that people in the "real world" go home at 5
> and party on till morning. Not that teaching isn't exhausting and totally
> involving, but have you ever owned your own business?? Not only do you
> work all day, cover for everyone, work late into the night...you don't
> necessarily get paid at the end---and sometimes you just pile up debts
> that can keep you worrying forever. Have you ever done manual labor for a
> whole day?--construction?? Have you tried waiting tables for minimum
> wage?? We do work hard, and we have some
> great rewards, but remember that other people work really hard also. Show
> other people the same respect you want them to show you.
> I find that one of the greatest rewards that I get in teaching is the
> respect that people have for me when I say I'm a teacher. Sid

---