Re: Elementary Painting

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Nov 05 2002 - 06:23:35 PST

One of the things you might start with is crayon resist, simply to get them
used to the act of moving their brush properly and applying paint. One
project I do with my upper level elementary is landscape silhouettes, where
they color their objects and ground with sharpie and do a wet-on-wet
painting on the sky. I use 6"x18" paper so there's not much to paint - this
will ensure the sky touches the ground. Another trick is to have them draw
with glue,let dry, and paint inside the glue lines. Have them paint heavily
with tempera (I use cakes), and then mix their colors directly on the paper.
Have them paint one day and whatever doesn't get painted can be finished
with oil pastels the next. I rarely just let them paint for the sake of
painting, and I love the results of mixed media.I have several painting
ideas on my site.
~Michal
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids

>One thing that I am not making progress on is painting.
I think I have the "materials management" at an acceptable
level, but I have been underwhelmed with the kind of work I
get when kids are painting.

---