Re: Elementary Painting

---------

From: West Friedman (FRIEDMAW_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Nov 05 2002 - 05:15:27 PST

I always tell the students that the sky comes all the way done to the earth. They must come together in their paintings. Sometimes we will do the "background", sky and earth first before any details or subject is added.
Of course you have to consider drying time in this method.

>>> BibelotsOutpost@aol.com 11/05/02 12:10AM >>>
One thing that I am not making progress on is painting.
I think I have the "materials management" at an acceptable
level, but I have been underwhelmed with the kind of work I
get when kids are painting. Hard to describe the issues ~
the paintings are not usually like the samples shown in books
on kid's painting. One thing I learned from this book... I think
it's called "The Art of Teaching Art to Children", is that painting
should not be about lines but about shapes. So it turns out that
one of the problems I have is letting kids sometimes predraw
with pencil. Other problems include kids not wanting to paint
the sky down to the horizon line (they are quite dismayed when
I suggest it... sometimes because they consider themselves
finished, and other times because they've painted so many
details below that strip of sky that they can't possibly paint around
all of it). I'd love some suggestions, techniques, and ideas on how
to teach painting to children. (I have K-5). Thanks!